Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chapter 2 "The Fines' School on Earth"

In October, I went to a powwow in San Bernardino, California and I had seen a lady with these swastika-like signs beaded on her outfit.  This made me curious because I wanted to know the meaning of it.  When I got home I googled it and this picture popped up (above).  I was surprised to see this indian basketball team wearing this symbol also.  Little did I know that this picture took place at a boarding school that I would be reading about!  I had read that the swastika-like symbol was a sign of good luck or well being among some indian tribes.  I am not sure why Chilloco chose this design but it would be interesting to find out.  I had to find this picture when I read about the basketball team.  I wonder if this was the team that was involved in the car accident in which Superintendent Correll pressed the commissioner of Indian Affairs to compensate the athletes involved in the tragic accident.  It was unfortunate that two people were killed and others injured.  At least Superintendent  Correll's pressure paid off because the Office of Indian Affairs ended up paying an educational grant to one student to attend college and also a 3-4 hundred dollar stipend per year for anothers schooling.  It was interesting to see the different stories about Superintendent Correll and how dedicated he was to the school.  Overall the students thought he was fair and really cared but of course there were some students that didn't think so.  It was also fascinating to read how some didn't like boarding school and how some liked it and thought it was good for them.  I wonder how long it took these people to reflect or come to the realization that this was good for them and paid off in the long run.  It seems like alot of the boarding school students felt this way.  As I am reading the book I am trying to picture what these students were thinking and how they felt and it is not what I expected.  I was expecting to read some really sad stories (even though there were a couple already) and I am sure that there are some but I guess I have yet to read.  Another strange thing is that although I do not agree with how the boarding schools came to be and how they took children from homes to assimilate them, I am somewhat understanding the thinking of these 'head honchos'.  Maybe it's because these stories are shared on such a personal basis and give the people in charge actual personalities.  I am not sure: time to read on.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mrs. Bearstail,
    I enjoyed reading your post and I couldn't help but reflect on what I was thinking when I read the chapter. I also couldn't believe how some of the students had their different opinions of the school because I grew up believing that all Native American's hated the boarding schools. It's hard to read something that totally go against what I was taught. I'm glad that I am able to learn from the different student views. Great post!

    ReplyDelete