Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chapter 5 'You Dizzy Bastard, Get in Step'

Wow! The title says it all!  The poor kids were disciplined military style.  The punishments for not doing what they were supposed to seemed pretty rough.  Especially when they talked about the little 6 year olds that were summoned to the rock pile.  Even the other older students thought that the discipline didn't match the age. 

As far as the drill competitions went I could just picture the young group not being able to keep up with the older, faster groups and them all joining hands to stay together.  That just breaks my heart because they still wanted to try and had that sense of teamwork.  I cannot picture my daughter being put through such a grueling task.  It seems in the end, the students think that it made them stronger.  I really like the sense of humor these people seem to have when retelling the stories. I get it. I wonder if some people that read this don't get the humor in it.  These people that have been through this know what they were put through and where they came from and how it made them into what they are today and they can actually laugh about some of it, at least.  Eventually the strictness of the discipline decreased.  Some spoke of being able to go to town on Saturdays and other activites.  I am glad that they had some extracurricular activites to do.

I found these pictures and I imagine that when these people graduated from Chilocco, that it was not as strict.  As you can see, their attire was not uniform. I thought it was interesting to compare the students as the times changed.


5 comments:

  1. Joelle,
    I really enjoyed reading your post and I especially like the pictures!! I also thought that the military style marching was also very intense. It was nice to read about the change in the administration and how the students were able to do more things outside of the school. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn’t imagine my kids going through this type of military schooling either. I bet they can laugh at it now, but I bet it was difficult for them at that time. I laugh at stuff I did in the past, but at the time I was not laughing. I wonder how these people treat there kids. Wonder if they are strict or laid back? Coming from this type of back ground? Is that your senior pic in the top left side? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!!!!!! yup class of 71...rahahahahaahaha. Holy smokes thats pretty darn funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read your post I think that many of the adults laugh at it now and realize how it may have helped them now and I do think it did. However, I do agree with Wylee I dont believe at the time they werent doing much laughing or thinking that it would help them in the future.

    ReplyDelete